In the past, mixing prints was a big no-no. But this season (and next) print mixing is encouraged. Gone are the days where you couldn't mix florals and stripes. Anything goes, but you have to know how to pair the right fabrics and prints.
courtesy of Gossip Collection
Here's our guide to working the mixed print trend:
- First and foremost, stay within the same color family. If you start mixing in too many colors, you will end up looking like a hot M.C Hammer mess.
- Mix textures. Combine heavier fabrics with silky or sheer ones.
- Start with animal prints, dots and stripes. Simplicity will keep you from looking too busy. If you do opt for floral go for large or scarce floral patterns (pictured left.)
- Stick to the top. In other words, solid leggings will work best with printed tops, scarves, skirts etc.
- Always go for a printed accessory. This is the best way mix prints without going too over the top. If you're working a striped top, try an animal or floral print handbag or scarf.