Hundreds of hungry food lovers gathered at the 69th Armory to sample the city’s finest fare at the Village Voice’s 4th annual Choice Eats event. Joonbug was lucky enough to attend this veritable food rave. Food enthusiasts and the restaurants they love came together and, in a matter of minutes, we were in a food coma. Here are some of the evening’s highlights.
- We met Cathy Erway, food blogger and author of The Art of Eating In. We sampled her wild dandelion pesto with crostini. And get this. She has just picked the dandelions herself fresh that day!
- Eddie Huang (BaoHaus) created his own version of kung pao chicken, laced with tons of lemongrass.
- Bark Hot Dogs from Brooklyn was featuring their signature Bark Dog, made in-house using pork shoulder, pork shank and beef shoulder.
- The sexy duo behind The Meatball Shop, Daniel Holzman & Michael Chernow, created a mini Reuben meatball served with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.
- Luke’s Lobster… There was a huge line to get a taste of the buttery and juicy lobster rolls. We’ll just hit one of the three locations to get our lobster fix.
- For pork lovers, there was a tomato-y pork ragu brought to you by Porchetta. The fabulous Sara Jenkins was on hand and gave Joonbug the secret to her famous roast pork. “The recipe is on the website,” she said. Click here for “the secret.”