- 1/2 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 8 whole star anise
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Champagne or sparkling wine
In a small sauce pan combine ginger, sugar, and 1/2 a cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce until it is thick (like syrup). Let the mixture cool before straining. Next mix five spice and sugar together on a plate and use to rim the champagne flutes. Pour a tablespoon of the syrup into each glass and top with champagne. drop a piece of crystallized ginger and pod of star anise in the flutes for garnish. Serve and enjoy.