This season’s “it” shoe is the wedge sneaker and it’s giving new meaning to the term ‘high-tops.' Wedge sneakers made their first appearance a few years back (between 2006 and 2007) and came in a style that made fashionistas a bit skeptical. After some revision, they made a second lap around the style scene in late 2011 with the emergence of Isabel Marant’s Bekket high-tops and became a hit to style leaders everywhere. Now, it seems, every celebrity from Beyonce to Dakota Fanning is stepping out wearing these sky-high sneaks.
Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the winter holiday madness known for being the most stressful time of the year. For a majority of women, a big part of that stress is often related to choosing the right look for holiday get-togethers. Dressy or casual? Clutch or bucket bag? A sweater dress with tights or a blouse and trousers? Maybe scrape the whole thing and get a new look from head-to-toe? And this is before we even throw accessories into the mix!
A melody of whimsical chimes set the magical mood for Alexander McQueen. Sensuous femininity radiated from couture gowns made powerful and mysterious by the avant-garde head coverings. Based on the three G’s: Grès for the pleating and draping, Gaudí for the architecture, and Gaia for the sense of all-encompassing oceanic life that infused the clothes, Sarah Burton shows once again her affinity to accurately convey the McQueen vision. The collection opened with ladylike suiting in ivory, blush, and metallic gold. Paired with extra-wide belts at the waist, the skirts came to gold ruffles that flared at the knee-length hemline. Ruffles were capitalized on throughout the collection. Literal aquatic interpretation was present in the matelasse jacquard in a barnacle pattern and silk chiffon in oyster print. Black lace pieces took ladylike to dominatrix paired with bondage inspired footwear laced to the knee. Bright coral gave a burst of color to the collection in a few extravagant show-stopping gowns. Headpieces off to you Ms. Burton, for creating another simultaneously shocking-yet-satiating collection worthy of such a legendary name.
Isabel Marant started designing accessories in 1989. Then "launched her full ready-to-wear collection five years later". I found her Spring 2011 collection very casual, beach-worthy, effortless. Having boutiques in Paris, Asia and New York, she has quickly become this sun and sand lover's favorite. And as far has her beauty and make-up regimen, here are a few of Isabel's favorites...
Refinery29's Style Director Piera Gelardi, composed an excellent how to guide on what it takes to get shot by famed style blogger Todd Selby. In comparision to infamous How To Get Shot by The Satorialist flow chart, Gelardi makes whitty jokes about the qualities Selby looks for when he scouts out apartments to shoot for his feautures. Could you be next?
- Through 3/8
The East Village vintage store Poppet is closing on Sunday, so stop by for 50 to 75 percent off all items. Through 3/8. 350 E. 9th St., nr. First Ave. (212-924-3190); Th, F, S (noon–7), Su (noon–6).
Pear and Plum, two neighboring Lower East Side boutiques, are clearing out shoe inventory — flats and sandals are $25, heels are $35, and boots are $50. 124 Ludlow St., nr. Rivington St. (212-529-1030); M–S (1–8), Su (1–7).
- 10:00 AM - Atsuro Tayama F/W 209, Paris de Tokyo - 13 avenue du President Wilson, Paris 16e
- 11:00 AM - Issey Miyake F/W 2009, Le Carrousel du Louvre - Salle Le Nôtre, Paris
- 12:00 PM - Gaspard Yurkievich F/W 2009, Le Carrousel du Louvre - Salle Soufflot, Paris
- 1:00 PM - Bernhard Willhelm F/W 2009, Espace Commines - 17 rue Commines, Paris 3e
- 1:00 PM - Isabel Marant F/W 2009, Couvent des Cordeliers
- 2:30 PM - Christian Dior F/W 2009, Espace Ephémère Tuileries - Jardin des Tuileries, Paris 1er
- 4:30 PM - Vivienne Westwood F/W 2009, 7 place Vendôme - Paris 1er
- 5:30 PM - Lanvin F/W 2009, Halle Freyssinet - 55 boulevard Vincent Auriol - Paris 13e
- 6:30 PM - Maison Martin Margiela F/W 2009, POPB - salle Marcel Cerdan - porte 28 - 8 boulevard de Bercy, Paris 12e
- 7:30 PM - Veronique Leroy F/W 2009, Espace Commines - 17 rue Commines, Paris 3e
- 8:30 PM - Yohji Yamamoto F/W 2009, Carreau du Temple - 3 rue Dupetit Thouars, Paris 3e