If you’re a trendy shopper like us, (and we know you are!) you’re always trying to find designer goods for less than an arm and a leg within your price range. Whether it’s the perfect accessory to complete a look or a gift for a fashionable friend, a designer label takes almost any item from sweet to chic. This holiday season, our haute hopes are answered by eBay’s debut of limited edition designer gifts—all featuring price tags marked $100 or less. And just wait until you hear who’s on board!
This year’s CFDA Awards were bigger than ever as they marked the 50-year anniversary of the organization’s existence. The event took place on Monday evening at New York City’s Lincoln Center in the Alice Tully Hall. To celebrate the winners and the CFDA’s anniversary, a video and fashion show was presented at the opening of the event including the history of the CFDA and showing where fashion once was, and where it is today. The Row’s Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were the winners of the 2012 Council of Fashion Designers of America’s Womenswear Designer of the Year award, where both women looked stunning in long, draping dresses; Ashley Donned a plum, silk gown, and Mary-Kate rocked anew dark and straight hairstyle. Billy Reid picked up the Menswear Designer of the Year award, and Reed Krakoff won in Accessories.
Last night, CFDA, Council of Fashion Designers of America, announced the 10 finalists for the 2011 CFDA/ Vogue Fashion Fund. For 8 consecutive years, the CFDA/ Vogue Fashion Fund has provided support and encouragement for emerging American designers. This year's winner will receive $300,000, a chance to design a capsule collection for the fund's head sponsor J.Crew, and mentorship from individuals highly regarded in the American fashion industry. Past CFDA/ Vogue Fashion Fund winners include Billy Reid, Alexander Wang, Doo.Ri, Proenza Schouler, Rogan, Sophie Theallet, and Trovata. The 2011 CFDA/ Vogue Fashion Fund nominees are:
Billy Reid. If this name does not ring a bell for you right now then get ready, because in the near future Mr. Reid’s name will be on the tip of everyone’s tongue.
Winning the prestigious CFDA Perry Ellis award for Best New Menswear Designer back in 2001 Reid’s clothing is marked by its classic styles executed with modern detail. Described as having a “low-fi Southern bred luxury” one might expect to find pieces like lightweight Henleys with chambray detailing, or tailored linen pants with Reid’s notable off seam slanting pockets all falling around the $100-$300 price range.
- 7/23 Daffy's Pop Up Store and Apartment, One 7th Avenue South, NYC Launching a pop-up store featuring unique apparel and home goods for men, women, and children, and a contest where consumers can enter to win a $7000/month West Village luxury furnished apartment for $700/month.
- 7/23 Enjoy a free party at Housing Works to celebrate the new collaboration of the thrift shop with Paper magazine and Papermag.com. Editors at the magazine are styling the windows and picking the fashions that will be on sale. Andrew Andrew will D.J. the soiree. Housing Works Gramercy Thrift Shop. 157 E. 23rd St., nr. Lexington Ave.; 6–9. Click here to RSVP.
- 7/23 Feel like a princess trying on dresses at the Vera Wang bridal trunk show. Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St., fifth fl. (212-940-2269); Th–S (10–8).
- 7/23 Dresses are $200 to $450, tops are $100 to $250, pants and skirts are $125 to $300, and gowns are less than $1000 at the Doo Ri sample sale. Select shoes and knits are under $100. 39 W. 38th St., nr. Fifth Ave.; Th–F (9–6).
- 7/23 Spring 2009 merchandise is up to 70 percent off at the Billy Reid sale. The Menswear Blazer for women is $285 (originally $475), the Tuscumbia Button Down is $54 (originally $155), and samples from the exclusive Billy Reid Limited Edition collection for men and women are $20 to $100. Bourbon and Southern fried chicken will be served. 54 Bond St., nr. Bowery (212-598-9355); noon–9.
- 7/23 Take 30 to 60 percent off select Jill Stuart collection items at the annual summer sample sale. 100 Greene St., nr. Prince St., (212-343-2300); Th (noon–7), F (11–5).
- 7/23 Juliska Holiday 2009 Press Preview, Barneys New York, 660 Madison Avenue, 8th Floor Penthouse, NYC By appointment only.
Support up-and-coming designers at the I Heart Gen Art 15th Annual Benefit. Works from over 60 artists will be on display, including items from Gen Art alums like Peter Som and Milly by Michelle Smith, and will be available for purchase. VIP tickets are $135 to $150, general admission tickets are $75 to $90. All tickets must be purchased in advance. 7 W. 34th St., nr. Fifth Ave., eleventh fl. (212-255-7300); 8 PM.
Harlem vintage boutique B.O.R.N. hosts a three-hour sale, offering 20 percent off pieces from designers such as Louis Vuitton and Cynthia Steffe. 52 W. 125th St., nr. Lenox Ave. (212-995-2075); W (6–9). Call to RSVP.
Get 20 percent off non-sale items at Billy Reid. 54 Bond St., nr. Bowery (212-598-9355); W (11–8).
alice + olivia sample sale. alice + olivia Bryant Park, 80 West 40th St. (Near 6th), NYC.
Divas Shop for Opera, City Opera's Pop Up Shop, 717 Madison Avenue, Between 63rd and 64th - 5PM to 10PM.
Florsheim by Duckie Brown at SCOOP NYC, SCOOP NYC Men's store - 430 W. 14th St. (Near Washington) – 6PM to 9PM.
7 for all Mankind: Holiday 2009 Preview, 25 W. 39th Street, 13th Floor Invites you to preview the Holiday 2009 collections for men, women, kids, and accessories.
Savvy & Co. will host a Bulga handbag sample sale where bags are up to 70 percent off. The sale will also run online at TheSavvy.com from 6/24 at noon to 6/27 at midnight. 145 W. 18th St., nr. Seventh Ave. (212-388-0339); W (8–8), Th (10–8).
Items start at $25 at Amanda Uprichard. Bright silk tunic dresses are $60 and jersey dresses are $45. 226 W. 37th St., nr. Seventh Ave., third fl. (212-719-0320); W–Th (10–6), F (10–3).
Take 50 to 70 percent off plastic shoes by the Brazilian brand Melissa. 520 W. 27th St., nr. Tenth Ave., Ste. 601; W–Su – Noon to 7PM.
- 9:00am – 6:00pm
Alicia Bell's spring collection is up to 75 percent off — a shirt that was $198 is now $50 to $75. Lilla P.'s casual collection of dresses, tees, and cardigans is up to 80 percent off — a knit dress that was $158 is now $40 and tees that were $40 to $80 are now $10 to $20. And Melly M. is also 80 percent off — pencil skirts that were $148 are now $55 and silk printed dresses that were $278 are now $99. 420 W. 14th St., nr. Ninth Ave., third fl., Ste. 8
- 10:00am - 8:00pm
UES Trunk Show & Fall 2009 Preview, Alice + Olivia Bryant Park Store, 80 West 40th Street, NYC Cocktail Party 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Today is Whiskey Wednesday at Billy Reid. Stop by the store to get 25 percent off the new spring 2009 collection while you enjoy food and live music. 54 Bond St., nr. Bowery (212-598-9355)
- 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sassy City Chicks Fashion Bash!, Touch, 240 West 52nd Street at Eighth Avenue, NYC The LA based Sassy City Chicks sample sale is launching in NYC and bringing their closest friends: designs by Diane Von Furstenberg, Nanette Lepore, Betsey Johnson, and Eva Franco all 50%-80% off! It's a Thursday evening event so very "ladies night out" with gift bags, cocktail specials and free spa services. $5 General Admission, Advanced 2 for 1 VIP Ticket, $20. For ticket information visit www.SassyCityChicks.com or call 310-318-1731.
Vivienne Tam's fall, summer, resort, and pre-spring 2008 collections are up to 75 percent off. 260 W. 39th St., nr. Seventh Ave. (212-840-6470); W (9–8), Th (10–7), F (10–6)
Always a bit of a mad house, but at least shoppers always leave with bags of goods, the Aeffe sale is back and discounting men's and women's Alberta Ferretti, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Moschino for 70 to 80 percent off. 30 W. 56th St., nr. Fifth Ave. (212-632-9383); Th, F, S (10–6), S (11–5)
The 2008 resort collection by 3.1 Phillip Lim is up to 40 percent off while supplies last. 115 Mercer St., nr. Prince St. (212-334-1160); M–S (11–7), Su (noon–6)