Mad Men is back with a new season to start our week off just right! With it, comes the incredible ensembles that costume designer, Janie Bryant compiles --keeping our fashion addiction at an ultimate high! The high studded neck, butterfly sleeves, and cat eye makeup sported by Megan Draper (played by Jessica Paré) on the season 5 premiere was the hit of the episode. As she sang her own rendition of “Zou Bisou Bisou," her glamour and style hypnotizing fans and fashion enthusiasts alike. Want the look of this beautiful broad? We have a few tips to help you create your own Megan Draper rendition while still staying current and stylish!
We all wish we had that perfect skin, naturally long, curled eyelashes, and no need for lip color or eye shadow. Most of us, however, haven’t been blessed with these genes and thus, we are forced to use what the heavens gave us and fake the rest. Perfecting the natural, “no makeup” look is definitely a must for the spring and summer months upon us and an easy look to achieve. Follow these steps to get that effortless, natural beauty while still using makeup and you will look and feel bright and fresh for spring!
1) Even out your skin tone and moisturize-
If you want to donate to charity, but don’t know of any worthy causes to give to, check out this list of five unique, highly-rated New York City charities and programs and find out more about their efforts.
NY CLASS (ny-class.org)
NY CLASS is an animal welfare group focusing on ending the inhumane horse carriage practices in New York City. They are sponsoring an upcoming benefit on February 24, the Mardi Gras Masquerade for NY CLASS.
As we stroll the isles of Sephora or the local drugstore for a set of face brushes, one can often wonder what they are used for and how to use them. More specifically, eye brushes are usually misunderstood and used incorrectly. Here is a brief how to and which brushes you need.
Brush #1: The Brow Brush: A stiff, short cut bristled brush cut an angle for the perfect styled eyebrow arch. It's also used for applying some slight "fill-in" color to your brows, giving you a defined look.
Perfect for home, travel, or any girl on the go these palettes are conveniently packed with a huge beauty punch and fit right in your sparkly clutch. From bold to classic, funky to glam, find your personal party-ready look with these super-chic kits—whatever your ideal beauty style may be this season.
Bold: Dior Holiday Deluxe Palette
“Inspired by the classic grey tweeds and iconic bow detailing in Dior's couture collections of the past and present, the deluxe travel palette holds all the travel essentials for eyes, face and lips to create a festive holiday look in an elegant tweed case.” It’s the solution to all of your holiday beauty hang-ups! Perfect for taking your look from day to night after work and even better for compact traveling. The palette is equipped with multi-toned Diorskin Nude Sculpting Powder; Crème de Rose Lip Balm to plump and smooth lips; and a mini Diorshow Iconic Mascara. There are also color sets for two different but equally bold looks: for sultry, smoky eyes, “a dark aubergine eyeliner, a medium plum eyeshadow, and a petal pink lip gloss;” for bold, look-at-me lips, “a taupe and pale pink eyeshadow pair with a rich, universal red lipstick.” Mix and match for day appropriate look, then glam it up with the bolder colors for night. J’adore Dior!
Dior Deluxe Holiday Palette, $77; available at Dior counters nationwide
After some experimenting and hard researching, we've come up with the products that will make your skin feel silky smooth and won't melt off your face in 100 degree weather.
These foundations will easily battle the heat + oily skin in one shot. Here are our favorites!
1. BareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation
Our personal favorite. Buff your way to flawless skin that lasts all day. Plus it's got SPF! Great for combination skin.
-Go to www.bareescentuals.com for more details on the foundation and to make your purchase.
Bobbi Brown’s newest collection, Almost Bare, certainly holds true to her famous beliefs on how makeup should be. Small and sweet, the collection is complete with glosses, bronzing powder, and a perfume. As the title would suggest, each piece is formulated to create the perfect sun-kissed look for summer.
Bobbi Brown’s original claim to fame was a line of ten natural-looking lipsticks, which quickly sold out almost as soon as they arrived at Bergdorf Goodman back in 1991. While staying true to her original goal, Bobbi Brown’s new High Shimmer Lip Gloss retains the natural look that her customers love, but also adds an ultra shiny finish that will keep the lips looking full throughout the day. The new High Shimmer Lip Gloss is available in Pink Tulle, Citrus, and Bellini, and it is Bobbi Brown’s highest shine gloss throughout her career.
Protecting your face from harmful UV rays is just as important as picture perfect makeup. Your face often gets neglected when it comes to sunscreen application, but the intense rays of the Miami sun are not to be ignored! UV rays reach some of the highest rates in the nation in Miami, but you're in luck because we've got some products and tips that will give you the perfect look while protecting your skin from harmful sun exposure.
Often times, sunscreen products are oily, abrasive, odorous, greasy, caky, or thick. Reasons like this lead women to avoid the use of sunscreen products on their face. While no one wants to walk around looking like a frosted cup-cake or a glazed donut, there are ways to protect your skin without the mess.
253 Elizabeth Street
(Cross streets: Prince St. & E. Houston St.)
Price Range: Meduim-High
What do you get when you mix a computer programmer from upstate New York with a wannabe rock star from the south? You get the duo and real life couple Toni Hayden and Ben Harnett better known as Hayden-Harnett. Featured in fashion magazines, on Gossip Girl and spotted down the runway during New York's fashion week, Hayden Harnett is getting plenty of exposure. With a store in NoLita and their main headquarters in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, this duo seems to have the accessories world in their clutch.
- 10/29- Join La Perla representatives for the launch of the company's new bridal corsetry and sleepwear collection. Saks Fifth Avenue. 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St., bridal salon, fifth fl. (212-753-4000); 5–7.
- 10/29- Meet Vogue's Grace Coddington at Clic Gallery, where she'll be signing copies of her book Catwalk Cats. A portion of the book's proceeds will be donated to the Animal Rescue Fund. Call 212-966-2766 to preorder a copy. Clic Gallery, 255 Centre St., nr. Broome St.; 7 p.m.
- 10/29- Meet Bobbi Brown at her new beauty counter at Bloomingdale's. She'll share her signature tips and techniques from noon to 1:30 p.m., and for the rest of the afternoon her Global Beauty Team will be giving complimentary makeup lessons. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St., (212-705-2055); noon–6. Call to reserve a space.
- 10/29- Get a complimentary skin consultation and mini-facial at Bloomingdale's with NIA24 and Space NK. Dermatologist Dr. Ariel Ostad will be sharing tips for undoing past — and preventing future — damage to the skin. NIA24 will donate 20 percent of product sales at the event to the American Cancer Society. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2772); 5–8. Call to reserve an appointment.
- 10/29- Check out the new Chanel cosmetics counter at Bloomingdale's. Makeup artist Kate Lee will be on-hand for consultations and Alexa Chung will stop by to D.J. for a portion of the evening. Sip Champagne as you beautify. Bloomingdale's. 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St.; Consultations (5–8), Alexa Chung (7:30–8:30).
- 10/29- Leather bags are up to 70 percent off at the Carlos Falchi sample sale. 260 W. 39th St., nr. Seventh Ave., seventh fl.; W–Th (10–7).
- 10/29- Merchandise is up to 80 percent off at the Yves Saint Laurent friends-and-family sale. 260 Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave., fourth fl. W–Th (8–8), F (8–2).
- 10/29- Clothing and accessories for boys and girls are up to 75 percent off at the Bonpoint sample sale. Baby coats are $70 to $180 (originally $180 to $450), girls' cardigans and pullovers are $55 (originally $155), boys' pants are $60 (originally $150), and shoes are $35 to $80 (originally $150 to $260). Please note, no strollers allowed on premises. 260 Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave., fifth fl. W (8–7), Th (8–3).