With spring right around the corner, it's time for everyone to take a load off and relax in some nice warm weather. Packing can be daunting, especially if it's a short getaway! It's all about fitting a versatile pieces into a small space. With all of this said, we'd like to make your packing (and vacation) as pleasant as possible with some key essentials that will help you gather your gear and head into your spring vacation in style.
Sunglasses are obviously always a must-have when going on vacation. However, if you are like the rest of us shopaholics, you probably have more than one pair. Am I right? Stick to the most versatile pair- we recommend the wayfarer style that Ray Bans have notoriously honed. However, if you want to branch out, don’t necessarily stick to the classic black or tortoise shell rims, go for a brighter color or floral print. It’s a shape that will forever remain in style, in a color or pattern that is super trendy for the now.
253 Elizabeth Street
(Cross streets: Prince St. & E. Houston St.)
Price Range: Meduim-High
What do you get when you mix a computer programmer from upstate New York with a wannabe rock star from the south? You get the duo and real life couple Toni Hayden and Ben Harnett better known as Hayden-Harnett. Featured in fashion magazines, on Gossip Girl and spotted down the runway during New York's fashion week, Hayden Harnett is getting plenty of exposure. With a store in NoLita and their main headquarters in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, this duo seems to have the accessories world in their clutch.
- 10/29- Join La Perla representatives for the launch of the company's new bridal corsetry and sleepwear collection. Saks Fifth Avenue. 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St., bridal salon, fifth fl. (212-753-4000); 5–7.
- 10/29- Meet Vogue's Grace Coddington at Clic Gallery, where she'll be signing copies of her book Catwalk Cats. A portion of the book's proceeds will be donated to the Animal Rescue Fund. Call 212-966-2766 to preorder a copy. Clic Gallery, 255 Centre St., nr. Broome St.; 7 p.m.
- 10/29- Meet Bobbi Brown at her new beauty counter at Bloomingdale's. She'll share her signature tips and techniques from noon to 1:30 p.m., and for the rest of the afternoon her Global Beauty Team will be giving complimentary makeup lessons. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St., (212-705-2055); noon–6. Call to reserve a space.
- 10/29- Get a complimentary skin consultation and mini-facial at Bloomingdale's with NIA24 and Space NK. Dermatologist Dr. Ariel Ostad will be sharing tips for undoing past — and preventing future — damage to the skin. NIA24 will donate 20 percent of product sales at the event to the American Cancer Society. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2772); 5–8. Call to reserve an appointment.
- 10/29- Check out the new Chanel cosmetics counter at Bloomingdale's. Makeup artist Kate Lee will be on-hand for consultations and Alexa Chung will stop by to D.J. for a portion of the evening. Sip Champagne as you beautify. Bloomingdale's. 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St.; Consultations (5–8), Alexa Chung (7:30–8:30).
- 10/29- Leather bags are up to 70 percent off at the Carlos Falchi sample sale. 260 W. 39th St., nr. Seventh Ave., seventh fl.; W–Th (10–7).
- 10/29- Merchandise is up to 80 percent off at the Yves Saint Laurent friends-and-family sale. 260 Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave., fourth fl. W–Th (8–8), F (8–2).
- 10/29- Clothing and accessories for boys and girls are up to 75 percent off at the Bonpoint sample sale. Baby coats are $70 to $180 (originally $180 to $450), girls' cardigans and pullovers are $55 (originally $155), boys' pants are $60 (originally $150), and shoes are $35 to $80 (originally $150 to $260). Please note, no strollers allowed on premises. 260 Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave., fifth fl. W (8–7), Th (8–3).
Celebrate the launch of Rob Thomas' new album when the artist himself stops by Bloomingdales. Buy an album, and he'll sign an autograph. Then, go shopping. 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2000); 6 p.m.
The Botox Cosmetic: Express Success campaign and Vanessa Williams will host a Rack Relay clothing drive at Grand Central Station. Donate new or gently used professional clothing and enter to win a lunch date with the actress. Grand Central Station, Vanderbilt Hall, 87 E. 42nd St., at Park Ave.; 11–2.