Boston has Fashion week too, ya know. It kicks off on September 27th and the spotlight will be on local and A-list designers. The week will include events such as a show featuring Elie Tahari's new Fall 2012 collection, an "In The Tent" series which will feature up and coming designers, as well as exhibitions and film screenings.
You’ve received your first (of many) holiday party invitation (s). Check. You’ve started looking through your closet for what to wear. Check. You want new outfits. Check. We’re here to help make that happen, for all 100% of you (!), with our holiday style guide of affordable vs. high-end looks that will make you a show-stopper at any party you attend this season.
Sleek & Sexy:
Pairing a sleek dress with a fun pair of sparkly heels has holiday party written all over it. We’re loving this purple satin dress from Dolce & Gabbana (left, $1,385) and these glitter platform pumps from Jimmy Choo (left, $745). Can’t quite swing the prices? Good news: find a similar look from H&M (dress, $40) and Wet Seal (heels, $30) for a fraction of the cost. Throw in some fun accessories and you’re ready to go!
Who: Shape Magazine and Pretty City Beauty Sample Sale
What: Complimentary spa and salon services, sample beauty products, while enjoying cocktails and hors d’oeuvres at the annual Beauty Sample Sale. Discover the latest trends in the industry from beauty experts, who will be on hand during the event to give out makeup and styling tips. Attendees will take home goodie bags filled with full-size products from top beauty brands. Tickets ($29) can be purchased at prettycity.com.
Where: Marquee, 289 Tenth Ave., near 26th St. (646-473-0202)
When: October 12th; 6:30–9pm
As every fashion-forward shopper knows, samples sales are key when trying to keep up with the latest trends without breaking the bank! Beginning today, there are nine awesome sample sales throughout the city that are sure to make you- and your wallet- smile! Happy shopping!
- JF & Son. Get up to 40% off on the duo’s Fall collection. 10 % of the total sale will go to the Red Cross in their efforts for Japan Relief. The sale begins today at noon, and lasts until 8 PM Wednesday. JF & Son is located in the East Village at 56 University Pl., at 10th St.
- J Rosen Showroom. Just in time for Summer, J Rosen Showrrom is offering up to 70 % off designer swimwear, cover-ups, and sandals. Designers include Brette Sandler, Debbie Katz, Tkees, and Cocobelle. The sale begins today and lasts until Friday at 7PM, at the showroom at 231 West 39th Street, between Seventh & Eighth Avenues, suite 1101.
- Rachel Leigh. Rachel Leigh’s Manhattan location is offering up to 80 % off on in-store merchandise, beginning tomorrow at 10 AM until Thursday at 5 PM. We recommend her famous bangles ($15) and cocktail rings ($25). The sale is located at 252 West 38th Street, between Seventh & Eighth Avenues, suite 902.
- Ted Rossi. Beginning Wednesday at noon, Ted Rossi will be offering up to 70 % off on Swarovski crystal jewelry, handbags, and leather goods. The two-day sale lasts until Thursday at 6 PM, and is located at 15 East 30th Street, between Fifth & Madison Avenues, suite 300.
- Tucker & Felix Rey. Beginning Thursday at 9 AM, the blowout sale will be HUGE, with vintage pieces marked down to $25 and tops, dresses, and jumpers marked down 40 %. Also, Felix Rey handbags will be starting at $25. The sale lasts until Saturday at 6 PM, at 413 West 14th Street, between Ninth & Tenth Avenues, suite 403.
- Erica Weiner. The much-acclaimed jewelry designer’s signature pieces will be marked down up to 40 % beginning Friday at noon and ending Sunday night at 8 PM. Erica Weiner’s store is located at 173 Elizabeth Street, between Spring & Kenmare Streets.
- Elie Tahari. Perhaps the biggest sale of them all, Elie Tahari’s sale event kicks off April 12th at 8:30 AM and ends April 16th at 5 PM. The blowout offers up to70 % off the entire men’s collection, as well as women’s leather jackets for $297 (reg. $1,198), sequin dresses for $129 (reg. $598), and patent peep toes for $98 (reg. $298). Elie Tahari is located at 510 Fifth Avenue, at 43rd Street.
- Charlotte Ronson. An undisclosed percentage of the profits from Charlotte Ronson’s sample sale will benefit Japan Society’s Earthquake Relief Fund. The sale will include chiffon dresses for $80, crew-neck sweaters, twill shorts, and skirts for $60, and rope-print tanks for $40. The sale begins April 13th at 10 AM, and concludes April 15th at 7 PM. Charlotte Ronson is located at 1071 Sixth Avenue, between 40th & 41st Streets, suite 301.
- Katherine Kwei. Katherine Kwei’s sample sale is offering hundreds off selected merchandise, including leather purses, clutches, and totes. The sale begins April 14th at 10:30 AM, and concludes April 15th at 7:30 PM. The showrrom is located at 611 Broadway, at Houston Street, suite 742.
The mood for spring 2011 is the rejuvenation of the‘60s through the‘70s. The Spring fashion week was all about silhouette and volume. On the spring 2011 runway, there were vivid colors, layered sheers, mixed up prints and tons of volume!
Homage to ‘70s: During New York fashion week 70s inspired looks with a sense of modernism were everywhere. Flared, high-waisted pants, wedges, oversized plaids and cheerful floral prints; Rodarte, Marc Jacobs, and Derek Lam paid homage to the 70s.
Pile-on-prints: This fashion week, many designers went for mixing and matching different prints. The key to the definition of mixed prints is to stay in one or two colors or stick in the same family of prints, as in Diane Von Furstenberg’s mixed patterns.
Tuesday, July 6th
Come and enjoy the Oscar Mimosa Trunk Show. Equinox Fitness Club, NYC; (8am-Noon)
Wednesday, July 7th
Through Thursday (7/8) - Curve Appeal Fall 2010 Preview. RSVP Required. 141 W. 36th Street, 12th Floor; (10am)
Enjoy 30% markdowns at the No. 6 summer sale. The No. 6 collection will be marked down alongside various designers. No. 6 Store, Central Market Place; (10am-5pm); For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
New York Women in Film & Television will host the 11th annual Designing Women Awards at Macy’s Herald Square. The ceremony will honor the creative work of hair, make-up and costume design created by women in the entertainment industry. RSVP Required. Macy’s Herald Square; (6:30pm-9pm)
4/27 - Brunello Cucinelli will celebrate the opening of their new Madison boutique with a light lunch; supporting The New Victory Theater and The New Victory Education Program. RSVP Required. 683 Madison Avenue; (12-2pm)
4/27 - The cast of Broadway's American Idiot will gather at Bloomingdale's for a meet and greet. The first 100 guests will win a poster for the cast to sign and customers who spend $200 on men's or women's Nudie denim will receive two tickets to the show. 1000 Third Ave; (212-705-2000); (4:15pm)
4/28 - Robert Verdi and Kristen Bell will host Marshall's fashion show in Union Square. Guest will be able to play games and will receive keys that may unlock wardrobes full of prizes; Facebook fans will be entered to win a $5,000 spring wardrobe. Union Square Park at 14th St.; (12-2pm)
- 10/22 Enjoy free product samples, cocktails, snacks, and more at the StyleFixx Girls' Night Out. More than 55 designers and brands will be present, including "Project Runway" designer Kara Janx, who will debut her fall line. Complimentary massages, facials, hair treatments, and manicures will also be available, and guests will receive a swag bag. Tickets ($30 with gift bag, $10 without). Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave.; 5–10.
- 10/22–10/23 Meet D. Porthault owner Joan Carl and Patrick Mavros at the Patrick Mavros trunk show. The show will feature work from the African sculptor and silversmith. 470 Park Ave., at 58th St.; 10–6.
- 10/22 In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Alexis Bittar Bleecker Street store is hosting an evening of charity, shopping, Champagne, and sweets. Twenty percent of the evening's proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Fund. Spend $150 or more and receive a free pink Lucite bangle (regularly $85). 353 Bleecker St., nr. Charles St. (212-727-1093); 6–8.
- 10/22–10/23 Shop deep discounts on men's and women's apparel, footwear, handbags, wallets, and accessories from Prada and Miu Miu. 609 W. 51st St., nr. Eleventh Ave.; S–Su (9–6), M–F (10–7).
- 10/20–10/24 Womenswear, menswear, shoes, and handbags are 70 to 80 percent off at the Elie Tahari fall sample sale. The women’s sleeveless sequin cocktail dress is $99 (originally $598), the charcoal-colored cashmere-blend trench coat with fox-fur collar is $499 (originally $995), and the black snakeskin classic pumps are $79 (originally $495). 510 Fifth Ave., nr. 43rd St. (212-398-2622); T–F (8:30–7:30), S (10–5).
- 10/21–10/23 Find deals at the Betsey Johnson sample sale. Sportswear is $35, day dresses are $50, and evening dresses are $75. Millennium Broadway Hotel, 145 W. 44th St., nr. Sixth Ave., sixth fl. (212-789-7546); W–F (10–8)
- 10/22–10/23 Dresses and tops from Robb & Hugo are up to 65 percent off. Robb & Hugo Showroom, 214 W. 39th St., nr. Seventh Ave., Ste. 907; daily, 10–6.
- 10/21–10/24 The entire fall 2009 collection is 20 percent off at the Temperley London "Fall Fashions & Fortunes" event. A representative from Wolford tights will be on hand to assist with outfit pairings. RSVP to Virginiar@temperleylondon.com. 453 Broome St., at Mercer St. (212-219-2929); W–S (11–7).
- 10/22–10/24 The House of Shalini is hosting a sample sale, offering up to 85 percent off select womenswear. The silk faille cocktail dress is $400 (originally $2,200), the silk chiffon Swank blouse is $250 (originally $1,600), and the silk faille sculpted jacket is $400 (originally $2,400). Prices start at $100. 363B W. 18th St., at Ninth Ave. (212-505-2765); Th–F (11–8), S (11–5).
- 10/22–10/25 Fall merchandise from Free People and Walter is 60 to 80 percent off. Chelsea Market, 75 Ninth Ave., nr. 15th St.; Th–Su (10:30–7).
- 10/22 Archetype Showroom Spring 2010 Previews, 676 Broadway, 2nd fl., NYC
- 10/22 Tibi S10 Market Appointments, 666 Broadway, 10th fl., NYC RSVP required.
- 10/22 Amanda Pearl S10 Accessories Preview, The Core Club, 66 E. 55th St., 2nd fl., NYC RSVP required 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- 10/22 Kaylee Tankus Spring 2010 Preview, Openhouse Gallery, 201 Mulberry St., NYC RSVP required 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Take 30 to 60 percent off select Jill Stuart collection items at the annual summer sample sale. 100 Greene St., nr. Prince St. (212-343-2300); Th (noon–7), F (11–5).