From standing on the red carpet to standing up for a cause, not only has Kenneth Cole been a successful designer in the fashion industry, he has used his fame and fortune to make a difference in the world.
For years, Cole has striven to bring AIDS relief efforts into public awareness in order to enact real change. Committed to finding a cure for AIDS, Cole joined the board of directors at amfAR in 1987 and is now chairman of the board for the organization. AmfAR is the world’s leading non-profit organization dedicated to ending the global AIDS epidemic through innovative research. Since 1985, amfAR has invested more than $340 million toward its goals and research, and the organization has awarded more than 2,000 grants to research teams worldwide.
Join Lucky Magazine and Kenneth Cole for a night of shopping to benefit the Making Books Sing anti-bullying project. Shop, sip cocktails and munch on hors d'oeuvres while shopping and mingling for a cause. 20% of proceeds will go the cause you'll also receive a surprise free gift with your purchase! (Gotta love free stuff.) You'll also get the chance to win a custom swag bag from Lucky.
When: Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Where: Kenneth Cole store, Grand Central
42nd Street & Lexington Avenue
RSVP by November 11th to: email@example.com
Local artists, photographers, designers and musicians swarmed the Lily Pad in Cambridge last Sunday night to celebrate the launch of a new Boston-based online collaborative arts magazine called Spirited. Boston dandy Mitch Hampton entertained on piano while guests sipped Bols Genever punch and Pretty Things beer, and visiting musicians Faux Fix from New Haven were in attendance to play some new material. There was much fabulous fashion to be had and I narrowed in on three guests I thought had amazing style.
Nathan Johnson, composer and producer
New York is taking street style literally this summer. "Sidewalk Catwalk", which began yesterday and will run through Labor Day, is a public event that involves A-list designers putting dozens of mannequins on display in the middle of the Fashion District. The 32 designers participating in the massive street display include Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, Diane von Furstenberg, Isaac Mizrahi, Jason Wu, Betsey Johnson, Kenneth Cole and many other local talents. The mannequins will be dressed in elaborate, artsy ensembles constructed with materials from the area in order to celebrate New York's Fashion District. Once the exhibit is over, all the mannequins and designs will be auctioned off and the proceeds will go to Materials for the Arts. The outdoor runway will be open to the viewing public on the pedestrian plazas along Broadway between Herald Square and Times Square and is expected to be a major tourist attraction this summer. Don't miss it!
Through July, visit designer Kenneth Cole's Custom T-shirt Store on Facebook to purchase a tee to support clean-up efforts in the Gulf for $35. You can mix and match 14 colors, 14 sayings (e.g. "I clean up well") and various graphic designs. All of the net profits will be donated to AWEARNESS, the Kenneth Cole Foundation to save the Gulf.
- 3/30 - A "Standard Issue" Spring 2010 event will take over Williamsburg,
where cocktails and Fall 2010 previews will take place. The issue, by
Hyden Yoo, will also take note of Yoo's Spring 2010 men's collection.
RSVP Required. Oak Williamsburg; 208 N.8th street, Brooklyn, NY; (6-9pm)
- Through 3/31 - Donate a pair of gently worn shoes to Soles4Souls to receive 20 percent off a new pair at Kenneth Cole. All donated footwear will be distrubuted to Haiti. Visit kennethcole.com for more information.
- 3/31 - Ted Rossi will host a press preview for his very eccentric Fall 2010 accessories collection. Make your appointment quick to see what's hot. RSVP Required. 15 E 30th Street, NYC; (10am)
- 3/31 - Convent will host its opening party this week; inviting guests to come out for drinks, great music, video installations, and Travis Wayne's new concept store. RSVP Required. Fat Baby, 112 Rivington St, New York, NY; (9-2am)
- 4/1 - The Green Room invites editors, stylist and bloggers to come out and preview Fall 2010 collections of young women designers. Appointment required. The Green Room NYC; 530 7th Ave Rm 909, New York, NY 10018; (9-7pm)
- 4/1 - Come out and meet Rachel Roy and R&B singer, Estelle as Roy debuts her her new exclusive collection. Estelle will be giving a live performance for guest. Macy’s, 151 W. 34th St., (212-695-4400); (6pm)
- 4/1 - Cynthia Rowley will introduce her new collection with Roxy at Barney's. Not to be missed! RSVP Required. Barneys Co-Op, 116 Wooster St., (212-965-9964); (6–8pm)
- 4/3-4/4 - Brooklyn Indie Market will host a marketplace of jewelry, handbags and clothing for men, women and kids; all from young emerging designers. Fun, fun, fun! Location: Smith Street and Union Street, Brooklyn; S (11–7pm), Su (11–6pm).
- 11/3 Support a good cause and head to the Bubbles, Baubles, and Beauty jewelry and accessories trunk show, where over 40 designers and vendors will showcase their products. Free massages, blowouts, and mini-facials will be available, as well as complimentary mimosas, champagne, and hors d'oeuvres. Twenty percent of the event's proceeds will be donated to the R.E.S.T. Initiative, which gives free massages to cancer patients inside their chemotherapy treatment rooms. The Gallery at Metropolitan Pavilion, 123 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave.; 10–8. Tickets are $10, or $50 with a VIP goody bag, and can be purchased from benefitoffice.org.
- 11/3 Womenswear, menswear, and accessories are up to 65 percent off at the Fred Perry X Raf Simons sample sale. Avalon Group Showroom, 547 W. 27th St., nr. Eleventh Ave., third fl.; M–F (10–7), S–Su (noon–5).
- 11/3 Select merchandise is up to 40 percent off at Kenneth Cole in honor of Election Day. Various hours and locations.
- 11/3 Vests, jackets, scarves, and more by Adrienne Landau are up to 70 percent off. The rabbit-fur biker jacket is $345 (originally $675), the Lynx rabbit coat is $550 (originally $995), and the Mongolian boa is $50 (originally $125). 519 Eighth Ave., nr. 35th St., 21st fl.; T–Th (10–6).
- 11/3 30th Anniversary of Mr. Chow, 324 E. 57th St., NYC 8:00 PM By invitation only.
- 11/3 Film Festival Premiere of "Dressed," Tribeca Cinemas, NYC 8:45 PM
- 8/26 Jimmy Choo heels are 70 percent off. Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave. 1–6
- 8/26–8/27 Handbags, clutches, and one-of-a-kind samples are up to 60 percent off at Gustto’s summer sample sale. Prices start at $150. 182 Fifth Ave., nr. 22nd St. (212-537-5897) W (10–8), Th (10–8)
- 8/26–8/29 Temperley London is hosting sample sales at its Soho and East Hampton locations. The Mustard leather jacket is $318.75 (originally $1,275), the mini Ermine dress is $373.75 (originally $1,495), and the Mousseline jacket is $318.75 (originally $1,275). Soho: 453 Broome St., at Mercer St., second fl. (212-219-2929); W (8–8), Th–S (11–7); Hamptons: 53 The Circle, East Hampton, New York (631-329-6505); W–Th (10–6), F–S (11–7)
- 8/27–8/29 Intermix is hosting its semi-annual warehouse sale, offering up to 80 percent off retail prices. Label include Stella McCartney, Chloé, Matthew Williamson, and more. Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave. Th (8–8), F (9–8), S (9–6)
- 8/27–8/30 Bloomingdale's annual fashion fund-raiser kicks off, a weekend-long event featuring black-and-white-photo booths, sketch-artist drawings, black-and-white cookies, lounges with Turner Classic Movies, and more, all of which contribute to raising money and awareness for amfAR. Kenneth Cole also designed a shirt in honor of the event, which will debut for sale at this event. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2000); Th, F (10–8:30), S, Su (11–7); and Bloomingdale's Soho, 504 Broadway, nr. Broome St. (212-729-5900) Th, F (10–9), S (10–8), Su (11–7)
- 8/27–8/30 The men's and women's spring 2009 collections are discounted at the Sophomore sample sale. Tanks are $30, cut-out and belted dresses are $80, henleys are $35, and double-zipper skirts are $50. Circa Now, 238 E. 6th St., nr. Second Ave. (212-254-2555) Noon – 8:00 PM
- 8/27–8/30 Shop discounted women's and men's jewelry, timepieces, and eyewear at the David Yurman friends and family sale. The Altman Building, 135 W. 18th St., nr. Seventh Ave. Th–F (8–8), S (9–6), Su (9–5)
- 8/28 – 8/31 Fashionhead Summer Sample Sale, The historic Bull's Head Inn in Bridgehampton, NY, 2546 Montauk Highway 8am – 7pm
Breakfast and open showing of Kenneth Cole New York Holiday Collections. Kenneth Cole Productions, 603 West 50th Street, 1st Fl. showroom, NYC ( 9.30-11AM).