Summer trends are slowly fading; fall is approaching and with it comes an array of new trends. If you’re like most you are anxiously awaiting fall's romantic weather, eager to wrap yourself in colorful layers and stylish add ons. One of our favorite trends of the season, however, is the fierce fur bag statement seen at Miu Miu, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, and Marni among others. Sometimes it just seems like designers like to work together. Whether they come in a bright, colorful hue or something a little deeper they’re each just as furry and cozy, so don’t be surprised if catch yourself hugging your bag more than once.
Even though bold prints aren't exactly a new trend (they were all over Fall 2011 runways), designers have really made bold design shine this spring and summer, too! High-end designers, boutiques, and commercial stores have placed bold prints on their must-have lists this season, weaving intricate, geometric, origami, and animal inspired prints that decorate tops and bottoms into their spring and summer merchandise.
Bold prints have come out looking edgier and more chic this season than ever before. We’re taking more chances as shoppers, buying unique and stylish pieces and designers are feeding our frenzy by creating bolder, edgier, and abstract looks.
Want to shop ‘til you drop this weekend? Check out these great sales!
- All spring/summer clothing, shoes, and accessories are discounted at Zara's semiannual sale. Through 7/31. Various hours and locations.
- Hand-knit sweaters by Ideeen start at $10. Risto dresses start at $50 and tops start at $40. Sale ends 6/26. 325 W. 38th St., nr. Eighth Ave., Ste. 401; F (11-8), S (10-7).
- Merchandise from Gryphon, Deviated, Gar-de, Lulu Frost, and more is 40 to 80 percent off at Sucre. The Gryphon sequin skirts are $207 (originally $345), Deviated necklaces are $138 (originally $275), and Margarita Sapala dresses are $155 (originally $310). Sale ends 6/28. 357 Bleecker St., nr. Charles St. (212-352-1640); F-S (11-8), Su (noon-7), M (11-7).
- Graphic-print tees, tanks, crop tops and dresses are discounted at the Mary Meyer pop-up shop. Sale ends 6/27. Beside Shoe Market, 160 N. 6th St., nr. Bedford Ave.; S-Su (noon-7).
- 1/18-1/24 - Confederacy Winter Sale- enjoy 40% off brands such as Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, and Rag & Bone for her. For the men, brands like Michael Bastian, Nom de Guerre, and Marc Jacobs are also 40% off. Both sexes-up to 75% off clearance items; 4661 Hollywood Blvd., b/t N. Vermont & Hillhurst Aves; (1/18-1/23, 11-8), (1/24, 11-7)
- 1/18-1/24 -Vionnet Blowout Sale- don't miss this boutique's bi-annual blowout bin sale where you can find up to 80% off bags, jewelry and other accessories from brands such as Vera Wang, Vena Cava, Mara Hoffman, Seneca Rising, Life with Bird, and more; 158 North Robertson Blvd, between Beverly Blvd and Alden Dr.
- 1/18-ongoing - What Goes Around Comes Around- This vintage store is having its fall/winter sale where you can find 50% their men's and women's fall coats, jackets, dresses, etc; Space 15 Twenty, 1520 North Cahuenga Blvd.
- 1/18-Onging - Opening Ceremony Winter Blowout Sale- fall/winter collections are now up to 70% off . Come get your hands on items from brands such as Acne, , Alexander Wang, Sophomore, Band of Outsiders, and more; 451 North La Cienega Blvd.
New York City is covered in snow, which leaves us with two choices: to haul out our boots and fur coats, or to download as many movies as possible and order takeout until the New Year. I actually chose to do both, and was quite surprised by the traffic I saw in the streets of Soho and West Village. In fact, remind me to email Marc Jacobs about the chaotic lines outside his Bleecker accessories store. Yet, I am delighted to see that so many people are shopping for fashion in such nasty weather. Nonetheless, the Joonbug crew had a little shopping of their own to do this past weekend. Friday was the evening to be downtown at the Shecky's Holiday Night Out event - a somewhat secretive traveling shopping event, filled with vendors and complimentarily cocktails. With such a massive crowd, I did two things instantly: I ran to the restroom to check my hair and then ran to the back to see if I could find Balmain at 99% off. Though I was fooled by the crowd, I was pleasantly pleased with the cute and delicate vendors; every one had its own personal story to what they were doing or selling. Items ranged from jewelry to graphic tees and from spa facials to Chi flat irons.
The Beautiful Life, an up and coming CW show, is already making fashion waves. The show stars Mischa Barton, Sara Paxton and newcomer Ashley Madekwe who is best known for her role as the client stealing call girl Bambi on Showtime’s Secret Diary of a Call Girl. The Beauiful Life chronicles the rise and fall of a group of models living and working in New York City. This show is said to be the preset for fashion lovers across America; although the pilot has yet to be be seen, the buzz surrounding the show is tremendous, not only because of it's wild stars, but also because of the fashion. Costume designer Tom Broecker made sure that he used the most fashion forward designers when dressing the actors. Pieces from the Phillip Lim, Rebecca Taylor, Roberto Cavalli, Balmain and Zac Posen (just to name a few) collections are being used to style the character as true New York fashion models. Is Tom Broecker the new Patrica Field? Will he make The Beauiful Life a cult classic in the fashion industry? We will have to just wait and see, The Beautiful Life premieres Wednesday, September 16th. Will you be watching? - I will.
- Through 6/24
Hugo Boss is up to 70 percent off at the Soiffer Haskin sale. 317 W. 33rd St., nr. Eighth Ave. (917-606-6795); S–Su (9–6), M–T (9–7), W (9–5).
- Through 7/1
40 percent off menswear, womenswear, and all spring accessories at 3.1 Phillip Lim. 115 Mercer St., nr. Prince St. (212-334-1160); M–S (11–7), Su (noon–6).
- Through 7/5
Lutz & Patmos is having a spring sale and offering 50 percent off the entire website. Type the code FINALSALE50 during checkout. Basic items in basic colors are excluded.
- Through 7/5
Dress shirts are $90 and suits are less than $1,000 at the Paul Stuart sample sale. 10 E. 45th St., at Madison Ave.; M–W (8–6:30), Th (8–7), F (8–6:30), S (9–6), Su (noon–5).
- Through 7/10
Oliver Spencer's spring 2009 collection is 35 to 50 percent off, including coats, suits, knitwear, shirts, and accessories. 750 Greenwich St., at 11th St. (212-337-3095); M–S (noon–8), Su (noon–7).
- Through 7/22
Get 30 to 50 percent off the latest A.P.C. men's and women's spring and summer collection of dresses, skirts, and bermuda shorts. 131 Mercer St, nr. Spring St. (212-966-9685); M-S(11-7), S(12-6).
Brian Reyes Friends and Family Sale, 304 Hudson Street, 5th Floor, NYC Monday June 22nd and Tuesday June 23rd - 8AM to 7PM
Woodley & Bunny Salon and Apothecary helps launch Swedish import Sachajuan Professional Haircare. W&B founders Sacha Mitic and Juan Rosenlind plan to offer complimentary styling as a special treat. 490 Driggs Ave., at 10th St., Williamsburg, Brooklyn (718-218-6588); M (4:30–6:30), T (9:30–11:30).
Save 15 percent on hand-painted dresses and scarves at S.LOVE. Online only. Call 646-454-9570 for more information.