On March 13th, The Village Voice's fifth annual "Choice Eats" tasting event, will take place. Today they have announced the final participants, bringing the number up to 83 restaurants, a record breaker. The final partakers include: Bowery Diner, Egg, David's Brisket House, El Almacen, Calyer, Grandaisy Bakery, Kutsher's Tribeca and Resto.
This year "Choice Eats" will also feature DJ Sets by Andy Rourke, the former bass guitarist of The Smiths, an alternative rock band from the 80s.
Ty-lor Boring, of Bravo's Top Chef Texas, will also make a celebrity appearance by hosting a demo for those who have VIP tickets.
Hundreds of hungry food lovers gathered at the 69th Armory to sample the city’s finest fare at the Village Voice’s 4th annual Choice Eats event. Joonbug was lucky enough to attend this veritable food rave. Food enthusiasts and the restaurants they love came together and, in a matter of minutes, we were in a food coma. Here are some of the evening’s highlights.
- We met Cathy Erway, food blogger and author of The Art of Eating In. We sampled her wild dandelion pesto with crostini. And get this. She has just picked the dandelions herself fresh that day!
- Eddie Huang (BaoHaus) created his own version of kung pao chicken, laced with tons of lemongrass.
- Bark Hot Dogs from Brooklyn was featuring their signature Bark Dog, made in-house using pork shoulder, pork shank and beef shoulder.
- The sexy duo behind The Meatball Shop, Daniel Holzman & Michael Chernow, created a mini Reuben meatball served with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.
- Luke’s Lobster… There was a huge line to get a taste of the buttery and juicy lobster rolls. We’ll just hit one of the three locations to get our lobster fix.
- For pork lovers, there was a tomato-y pork ragu brought to you by Porchetta. The fabulous Sara Jenkins was on hand and gave Joonbug the secret to her famous roast pork. “The recipe is on the website,” she said. Click here for “the secret.”
The Village Voice's Third Annual Tasting Event
When: Monday, March 22, 2010
Where: The 69th Armory
68 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Time: 6:30-9:30pm/VIP: 5:30-6:30pm
Tickets: General: $45/VIP: $75
On March 22, 2010, join Village Voice's food critics Robert Sietsema and Sarah Digregorio at Choice Eats, The Village Voice's Third Annual Tasting Event, and feel like food critic yourself. Carefully selected by Sietsema and DiGregorio, Choice Eats will host over 50 restaurants from over 35 nations, which include Vietnam, Italy, Brazil, Russia, Cambodia, Tunisia, and many others.
I am proud of where I live, and having lived there for a grand total of six weeks, I feel it is my privilege, nay, my responsibility, to report some comings and goings that are occurring. This is not a gossip piece, so much as a ‘heads up.’ In the heart of the East Village, where trendy just gets trendier, there is more to be excited about.
I never realized when I first moved in to my new apartment, just what kind of neighborhood I was getting myself involved with, and now that I’ve been living there a grand total of six weeks, I feel a veritable local, and am assuming the responsibility of showing off that I live in a cooler part of the city than you. That, and I want to draw attention to some new developments happening on 7th Street.