SAKS FIFTH AVE
With his recent rise as VP of Design for a top fashion line, Albino Riganello took some time out of his busy schedule to share with me a little about himself, his jewelry collection 1974, and his current views on fashion.
When did you discover your passion for fashion? I was six years old and liked to sketch clothes. I realized that’s what I wanted to do as a career. I didn’t draw landscapes like most children, I found myself drawing clothes.
Who was your earliest mentor and what would you say was the best advice he or she gave you? Domenico Dolce was my first mentor. His best advice to me was “I pay you to dream. When you stop dreaming, you’re fired!”
April showers have suddenly evolved into May showers in NYC, and we can’t let the wet streets cramp our style, right? Like the saying goes, when given lemons, make lemonade! Maybe you can’t wear your most fashionable duds on the sidewalks while it’s rainy out, but you can wear your most fashionable rainwear. We have a few pieces picked out just for you to keep you looking stylish while getting through the rainy days! Check these pieces out and keep moving your fashionable foot forward!
What: Exhibition A is a pop-up gallery at Barney’s with exclusive editions of work by contemporary artists including Terence Koh, David LaChapelle, and Nate Lowman
When: Now until Monday, April 16th
It seems that these days truffle oil is everywhere; and not just in fancy, upscale restaurants. Since the craze began in 2007, bars, pizzerias, and even the lunch restaurant at Saks 5th Avenue are drizzling it on their popcorn, pizza, and well, just about anything else. Chelsea's Bar Veloce features truffle oil on their 5 cheese panini and the East Village's B Bar incorporates it into their Mac 'n Cheese.
Just this weekend I attended a spa in the Pocono’s for the weekend. The menu was filled with healthy and organic options, one of which was the Whole Wheat Pita Pizza with Truffle Oil. I noticed the smell almost immediately which, as anyone who has ever tasted anything with truffle oil will tell you, is not difficult to recognize it's distinct aroma. The pizza was mediocre, but something about the combination of odors from the oil and the pungency of the Fontina cheese made me think it might be better if I could just pinch my nose and swallow. I find that I enjoy truffle oil when it is the main event of a dish and paired with milder foods like Popcorn or mushrooms. Eating is a multi-sensory experience, so when it comes to truffle oil, I prefer not to send my nostrils into overdrive.
- 9/29 Meet Project Runway's Tim Gunn as he celebrates the debut of Kate Spade New York's apparel collection with the company's co-president and creative director, Deborah Lloyd. Tim will share his style advice. Bloomingdale's, 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2000); 6–8.
- 9/29 Check out the latest fall collections from Bamford & Sons and get styling tips from brand ambassador and stylist Eduardo Rosso. The line includes hand-loomed cashmere knits, handmade shirts, and leather-and-suede coats. Bergdorf Goodman, 754 Fifth Ave., at 57th St. (212-753-7300); Tu (noon–4). Barneys New York, 660 Madison Ave., at 61st St. (212-826-8900); Th (noon–4).
- Through 10/26 Visit Sam Haskins's new photography exhibit "Fashion Etcetera" at Milk Gallery. The exhibition also includes the premiere of the Sam Haskins for Tommy Hilfiger capsule collection, featuring a T-shirt, tote, and scarf printed with an image from Haskins's book Five Girls, as well as a preview of the new book Fashion Etcetera by Sam Haskins: Tommy Hilfiger Special Edition. Milk Gallery, 450 W. 15th St., nr. Tenth Ave. (212-645-2797); M–S (10–6).
- Through 11/25 Take a look at the new Kai D. pop-up shop on the Lower East Side. In addition to the brand's fall/winter and holiday collections, which were inspired by hunting gear, workwear, and vintage military uniforms, the shop will also house Build the Future, a limited-edition collection for charity. Twenty percent of the proceeds from the special collection will go to New York Cares and Give Something Back International. Kai D. Pop Up Shop, 75 Orchard St., nr. Broome St.; M–S (11–7).
- ONGOING Stop by the Bond No. 9 counter at Saks to check out their latest art-inspired scent, Andy Warhol Success Is a Job in New York. The spicy citrus scent comes in a bottle adorned with an image from Warhol's 1981 Dollar Sign series. Bring an empty perfume bottle and Bond No. 9 will recycle it and thank you with a free refillable pocket spray. Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St. (212-753-4000).
- 8/20 Amorepacific celebrates its debut in Sephora stores by offering free facials at the Sephora Soho location. Aestheticians from the beauty company's spa will be on hand to provide complimentary skin-care consultations as well. Sephora Soho, 555 Broadway, nr. Prince St. (212-625-1309); 1–7. Call for appointment.
- 8/20 Benefit Cosmetics is launching a full menu of body-waxing services at the new "Benefied" Spa Room at Bloomingdale's. Check out the launch and new menu of services. Bloomingdale's Soho, 504 Broadway, nr. Broome St. (212-729-5132); 5–9. Call for appointment.
- 8/20 Come see the classic glamour of Oscar de la Renta at the designer trunk show featuring the resort 2010 collection. Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St. (212-940-4546); call for appointment.
- 8/20 Dresses are $70, pants and tops are $30, and sweaters are $20 at the Saja sample sale. 250 Elizabeth St., nr. Houston St. (212-226-7570); Th–Su (10–7).
- 8/20 Everything in the store is 30 to 50 percent off at La Sirena's end-of-summer sale. Embroidered blouses are $25 (originally $40), dresses are $36 (originally $60), and beach and market bags are $25 (originally $50). 27 E. Third St., nr. Bowery (212-780-9113); Th–M (noon–7).