SHARON VAN ETTEN
The official lineup for this year's Lollapalooza Festival has been announced! Taking place on August 3 - 5 in Grant Park, Chicago, this year's festival is sure to be one for the record books.
Artists include The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, a recently reunited Black Sabbath, Jack White, Florence + the Machine, At the Drive-In, Bassnectar, The Shins, Avicii, Justice, The Weeknd, Sigur Ros, a recently reunited Afgan Whigs, M83, Frank Ocean, Nero, Die Antwoord, Tune-Yards, SBTRKT, The Walkmen, Sharon Van Etten, The War on Drugs, Twin Shadow, Toro y Moi, Wale, Zed's Dead, Childish Gambino and many more! For the full lineup, click here.
Get your tickets here, but hurry up, they'll sell out quick!
So the title of this article may be a misnomer... All of these artists do often collaborate with other musicians/have bands they play with, and, you know what, War is actually a 'duo,' but that's all semantics. After hearing these three new artists, I don't think you'll particularly care.
Grimes is the moniker of Montreal-based musician Claire Boucher. A mix of synth-heavy electro pop and dance music, Boucher is gaining a huge following around the world. Her latest album, Visions, was well received by critics, not surprising once you give it a listen. Grimes' sugary sweet vocals alternate between outerspace and somewhere deep inside the weirdest, darkest club you can think of. Add that to awesome analog/dance/industrial beats and synths with enough effects to make your head spin, Grimes delivers on all fronts. Here's Grimes on Grimes: "I approach music --and this sounds crazy-- as though I'm Phil Spector, and I'm cranking out these pop stars and forcing them to do all this crazy stuff --except they're all me." (source) That's a cool way of putting it and shows Boucher's allegiance to both the founding tenets of pop music and her own individual weirdness.
Thursday, October 28th
- Corin Tucker (Sleater Kinney) w/ The Hungry Ghost @ First Unitarian Church, 8 pm, $13
- Cloud Cult w/ Fort Wilson Riot @ The Trocadero, 8 pm, $16
- Woe w/ Kreig, Infernal Stronghold @ Kungfu Necktie, 8 pm, FREE
- Frightened Rabbit w/ Plants & Animals, Phantom Band @ Starlight Ballroom, 8 pm, $16-18
- Bettie Seevert w/ Onufrak, Smiles, Everyone @ North Star Bar, 8 pm, $15
- The Chapin Sisters w/ Rebecca Loebe, Raina Rose @ Tin Angel, 8:30 pm, $10
- Howard Fishman @ World Café Live, 8:30 pm, $21
- TV Casualty w/ Direct From Hollywood Cemetery, The England Belongs to Twee Sound System @ Johnny Brenda's, 9 pm, $10
- DJ Sammy Slice w/ DJ Cool Hand Luke @ Silk City, 10 pm, $5
- DJ Ian. St. Laurent & DJ Wolf.fang @ Kungfu Necktie, 11 pm, $3