If you’re a trendy shopper like us, (and we know you are!) you’re always trying to find designer goods for less than an arm and a leg within your price range. Whether it’s the perfect accessory to complete a look or a gift for a fashionable friend, a designer label takes almost any item from sweet to chic. This holiday season, our haute hopes are answered by eBay’s debut of limited edition designer gifts—all featuring price tags marked $100 or less. And just wait until you hear who’s on board!
Summer wedding attire can be tricky for even the best stylistas. Day, night, beach (or other equally picturesque destinations), can result in a wardrobe conundrum that proves to be even more stressful than our daily decisions. It’s not always easy to achieve the perfect balance between looking fabulous but not stealing the show, statement-making accessories that still allow you to dance the night away, and expert styling for a look appropriate in any setting. Here are a few ideas for celebratory styles that will keep you confident and comfortable long after you’ve caught the bouquet.
We usually associate leather with cooler seasons like fall and winter but this summer, it’s proving to be a huge trend with camel toned pieces, and gold attributes. Spotted on all the runways from A.L.C., to Alexander Wang, everyone can feel the leather love for summer 2012. But how to incorporate the look of leather in your wardrobe for the warm weather can be tough so we have a few tips and tricks of the trade to keep you trendy for the season, and still able to transition to the fall again!
Get out of the rain and into some sample sale rooms! Top designers are clearing out their old inventory with seriously steep discounts. Check out the upcoming sample sales below, and make sure to get there early.
May 19th & 20th Derek Lam will be up to 70% at this sale. 10 Crosby Street, between Grand and Howard Street, 3rd Floor.
May 18th - 20th Snag up to 50% off of clothing, accessories and shoes by UGG Australia.12 West 57th Street, between 5th and 6th Ave, Suite 807.
May 18th - 22nd Up to 65% off at the Theory Women’s sample sale. 261 W. 36th Street, between 7th and 8th Ave, 2nd floor.
(1) Season 4 will begin by saying goodbye to New York and bonjour to PARIS! There have already been multiple sightings of stars Blake Lively, Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick while filming in Paris, and they appear to be taking the city’s fashion scene by storm. Lively’s wardrobe has been especially Parisian-chic; she has been seen wearing a ruffled emerald green Haute Hippie dress, electric blue Tibi cropped pants with a metallic Emilio Pucci blazer, and a shimmery Georges Chakra couture dress, which she stylishly dressed down with a gray blazer and oxford flats. LOVE!
All the belts and waist emphasis were certainly overwhelming, but I couldn't help falling in love with the romantic and flirty Fall 2010 Tibi collection. The styling may have been a tad bit repetitive, with each model walking the runway with a big head of tight, flouncy curls and almost always a belt at the waist to cinch in their cardigan, coat, jacket, or dress. Nevertheless, each look was truly individual and completely captivating. Long sleeve crew necks appeared under corsets and sleeveless floral print dresses, and burgundy or wine colored tights kept the looks very fall appropriate. Beautifully draped dresses with a glamorous sparkle or sophisticated Grecian aesthetic also maintained the juxtaposition of delicate femininity and fearless femme fatale. Founder and designer Amy Smilovic says that her collection is inspired by "the romantic standard of masculine and feminine, hero and heroine, Napoleon and Josephine, Samson and Delilah."
- 10/22 Enjoy free product samples, cocktails, snacks, and more at the StyleFixx Girls' Night Out. More than 55 designers and brands will be present, including "Project Runway" designer Kara Janx, who will debut her fall line. Complimentary massages, facials, hair treatments, and manicures will also be available, and guests will receive a swag bag. Tickets ($30 with gift bag, $10 without). Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., nr. Sixth Ave.; 5–10.
- 10/22–10/23 Meet D. Porthault owner Joan Carl and Patrick Mavros at the Patrick Mavros trunk show. The show will feature work from the African sculptor and silversmith. 470 Park Ave., at 58th St.; 10–6.
- 10/22 In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Alexis Bittar Bleecker Street store is hosting an evening of charity, shopping, Champagne, and sweets. Twenty percent of the evening's proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Fund. Spend $150 or more and receive a free pink Lucite bangle (regularly $85). 353 Bleecker St., nr. Charles St. (212-727-1093); 6–8.
- 10/22–10/23 Shop deep discounts on men's and women's apparel, footwear, handbags, wallets, and accessories from Prada and Miu Miu. 609 W. 51st St., nr. Eleventh Ave.; S–Su (9–6), M–F (10–7).
- 10/20–10/24 Womenswear, menswear, shoes, and handbags are 70 to 80 percent off at the Elie Tahari fall sample sale. The women’s sleeveless sequin cocktail dress is $99 (originally $598), the charcoal-colored cashmere-blend trench coat with fox-fur collar is $499 (originally $995), and the black snakeskin classic pumps are $79 (originally $495). 510 Fifth Ave., nr. 43rd St. (212-398-2622); T–F (8:30–7:30), S (10–5).
- 10/21–10/23 Find deals at the Betsey Johnson sample sale. Sportswear is $35, day dresses are $50, and evening dresses are $75. Millennium Broadway Hotel, 145 W. 44th St., nr. Sixth Ave., sixth fl. (212-789-7546); W–F (10–8)
- 10/22–10/23 Dresses and tops from Robb & Hugo are up to 65 percent off. Robb & Hugo Showroom, 214 W. 39th St., nr. Seventh Ave., Ste. 907; daily, 10–6.
- 10/21–10/24 The entire fall 2009 collection is 20 percent off at the Temperley London "Fall Fashions & Fortunes" event. A representative from Wolford tights will be on hand to assist with outfit pairings. RSVP to Virginiar@temperleylondon.com. 453 Broome St., at Mercer St. (212-219-2929); W–S (11–7).
- 10/22–10/24 The House of Shalini is hosting a sample sale, offering up to 85 percent off select womenswear. The silk faille cocktail dress is $400 (originally $2,200), the silk chiffon Swank blouse is $250 (originally $1,600), and the silk faille sculpted jacket is $400 (originally $2,400). Prices start at $100. 363B W. 18th St., at Ninth Ave. (212-505-2765); Th–F (11–8), S (11–5).
- 10/22–10/25 Fall merchandise from Free People and Walter is 60 to 80 percent off. Chelsea Market, 75 Ninth Ave., nr. 15th St.; Th–Su (10:30–7).
- 10/22 Archetype Showroom Spring 2010 Previews, 676 Broadway, 2nd fl., NYC
- 10/22 Tibi S10 Market Appointments, 666 Broadway, 10th fl., NYC RSVP required.
- 10/22 Amanda Pearl S10 Accessories Preview, The Core Club, 66 E. 55th St., 2nd fl., NYC RSVP required 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- 10/22 Kaylee Tankus Spring 2010 Preview, Openhouse Gallery, 201 Mulberry St., NYC RSVP required 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Unabashedly feminine and pretty, Tibi’s spring 2010 collection was inspired by lush gardens and abstract florals. Icy pastels mixed with intense colors were impressive throughout. With a hint of 60’s style, next spring will be colorful and flirty thanks to Tibi’s head designer Amy Smilovic. Tibi’s new ready-to-wear collection featured up in coming trends for next spring seen all over the runways this fashion week; single shouldered tops, sequenced splashed dresses, lace overlay and floral prints are a few of the trends to watch.
- March 25th - March 30th
Moscow Fashion Week presented by VISA, Moscow
- Shopping 11AM – 8PM and Party 6PM – 8PM
Dog lovers, join Tibi designer Amy Smilovic while you shop at Tibi and 15 percent of all sales go to the ASPCA. The designer will also host a cocktail party at night with food (for you and your doggie). 120 Wooster St., nr. Prince St. (212) 876-7700 ext. 4652 Call to RSVP.
- 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Japanese pop star Utada stops by Sephora for a night of beauty and music. Stop by for a chance to win a $500 gift card to the beauty supergiant. Sephora Fifth Avenue, 597 Fifth Ave., at 48th St. (212-980-6534)
- 3/25–3/26 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Receive 75 percent off women’s ready-to-wear, handbags, shoes, and jewelry from the summer 2008 collection at the Emanuel Ungaro Paris sample and stock sale. 12 W. 57th St., nr. Fifth Ave., (212-247-2239)
- March 25th 8AM to 7PM & March 26th 8AM to 6PM
Marchesa Couture Collection & notte by Marchesa Sample & Stock Sale, The Warwick Hotel, 65 West 54th St. at Sixth Ave, 2nd Floor Kent Suite The most stylish evening attire from the Marchesa Couture Collection and notte by Marchesa. Gowns, cocktail dresses and evening separates in sizes 0 to 12. All natural fabrics - silk chiffon, silk satins and taffeta. Prices now 50 to 80 percent off retail. For additional information, please contact email@example.com.
Brightly colored prints with fur accents walked the runway at Tibi’s Fall 2009 Collection. Designer Amy Smilovic found inspiration in the illustrations of Gennady Spirin’s Russian fairy tale The Tale of the Firebird, and that was evident in all her patterns. Dresses with every hem length imaginable and blouses featuring this season’s must have sharp-shouldered silhouette made the collection relatable to a wide audience. It was refreshing that to see that Smilovic wasn’t scared off from designing a bold collection this year. Whether it be her signature prints or a bright pink ruffle wool coat with black fur cone hat and watching gloves, all were winning looks. I predict it will pay off in the end.