Photography remains an integral element of the storytelling process in the fashion industry. It used to be that putting together a show-stopping outfit was reserved for professional stylists and magazine editors alike. However, these days are gone with the popularity of fashion blogs and "how-to" websites, like Who What Wear, taking the Internet by storm. Men and women everywhere have discovered the joys of simply selecting their clothes for the day through the inspiration of others. Personal style has become a part of our daily lexicon, and naturally, there are many books out there on the subject. Glam Damn It has compiled a list of our fave fashion reads. Read one or all of these and you will be well on your way to wardrobe superstardom.
Shoe lovers—especially vintage shoe lovers—will revel in this collection of twentieth century footwear. Over one hundred years of shoe design, explored decade by decade, are bound into Vintage Shoes. The most collectible and influential shoes from the past century are chronicled through stunning imagery and specially commissioned photography, curated by Caroline Cox. Vintage collectors benefit from the shopping, sourcing, and caring guides for vintage footwear. A glossary of the shoe designers from Salvatore Ferragamo to Vivienne Westwood will expand even the most dedicated shoe lover’s knowledge on the history of footwear. Most excitingly, Vintage Shoes features a forward by the purveyor of scarlet soles (who’s designs will soon be coveted vintage pieces in their own right)—Christian Louboutin.
Vintage Shoes by Caroline Cox; $29.99
- 9/24–9/26 Topshop gives away free totes, look books, and treats as part of its Campus Tour. Students receive 10 percent off with a valid I.D. Check out the complete schedule and locations at Topshop.com
- 9/24 Celebrate the relaunch of Self Salon's recently renovated space in Williamsburg. The festivities include cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and mini–day-to-night–makeovers for fall. Holistic therapists will also be present; they'll demonstrate stress-relieving methods and tips, such as acupuncture and zero balancing. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. 147 Grand St., nr. Bedford Ave., Williamsburg, Brooklyn (718-599-1449); 6–8:30.
- 9/24 Meet designer Cookie Johnson at Bloomingdale's as she launches her new denim collection, CJ Jeans, designed for curvy women. Johnson will offer personal styling advice to shoppers, and cocktails will be served. 1000 Third Ave., at 59th St. (212-705-2000); 6 p.m.
- 9/24 Head to Bleecker Street for the NYC Boutique Crawl. The stores on Bleecker between Hudson Street and Seventh Avenue will offer discounts, cocktails, and snacks, as well as a gift bag from Lucky magazine. Stylists from the Antonio Prieto Salon will be giving complimentary blowouts and hair consultations at Cynthia Rowley as part of the event. 376 Bleecker St., nr. Perry St. (212-242-3803); 6–9
- 9/24 Find the perfect pair of jeans from hot London denim brand MiH, which has been seen on celebrities like Rihanna, Katie Holmes, and Kate Bosworth. MiH's Janie Wood will be on hand to help customers find their perfect style. Saks Fifth Avenue, 611 Fifth Ave., at 50th St., fifth fl. (212-753-4000); 5–7.
- 9/24 Isabel and Ruben Toledo, in conversation with Valerie Steele, The Museum at FIT, Seventh Avenue at 27th Street, NYC Featuring designer Isabel Toledo and her husband, artist Ruben Toledo in conversation with Valerie Steele, director of the Museum at FIT, at the Katie Murphy Amphitheatre at the Fred P. Pomerantz Art and Design Center. 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- 9/24 Get a free shaving and meet some firefighters outside the Flatiron building. King of Shaves will provide free shaves — and free gifts — to celebrate the launch of their new environmentally-friendly Azor razor, available at Duane Reade. The company's master barber will also be shaving New York City firefighters and donating to the Friends of Firefighters Organization. The Shwagon, Flatiron Area Pedestrian Sidewalk, 23rd St., at Broadway; Th–F (10–6).