Skip the tall boy on your train ride home and stop at Grand Central Terminal’s Vanderbilt Hall for some Japanese culture and spirits. Just off the main concourse, Vanderbilt Hall will be transformed into a traditional Japanese tachinomiya for three days, March 19th-21st, during Japan Week. The first ever Japanese pop-up bar will resemble the tachinomiya standing bar that has a long tradition in Japan. These standing bars are found in larger cities, like Tokyo, where it is common for business commuters to stop for a quick drink before boarding their trains in the evening.
There are only two retail spaces left in Grand Central Terminal, and for the first time in 25 years, they are up for grabs. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced this week that they are making two sizable new spots available for restaurants.
One space is roughly 12,000 square-feet and located on the west side of Vanderbilt Hall. The marble floors used to serve as the waiting room and has been used for special events.
The other section that will be available for lease is the area above the Grand Central Market. The 4,700 square-foot space that is currently being used for storage will become a place where diners can enjoy a meal and a view from the balcony looking over the market.
- 3/15 - "Get me Demarchelier!" Interested in Victor Demarchelier - the son of famed Patrick Dermachelier? Clic Galleries is presenting Victor Demarchelier's first solo show in New York through April 5th, with an opening reception tonight. The event will show stellar black and white photographs from the Vogue-published photographer, capturing his work reminiscent of Irving Penn, personal projects, fashion shoots and work with famed model (and girlfriend), Caroline Trentini; Clic Galleries, 424 Broome Street; (6-9pm opening reception, 3/15).
- 3/15 - Miuccia Prada was rumored to only want to have to work with models during her fittings for Attila - now the designer will join Jacques Herzog and Pierre De Meuron for the Attila performance tonight at the Metropolitan of Opera. Invite Only; The Metropolitan Opera; (8-10p)
- 3/17 - Tommy Hilfiger will partner up with Quintessentially to host the premiere of The Runaways starring Joan Jett, Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. Invite Only; (6:30-10p)
- 3/18 - Derek Lam store visit - Come and meet the mastermind and famed young designer. Invite Only; 10-12 Crosby (6:30-8p)
- 3/18 - Popular retail store, New York & Company, will host its first ever Fall 2010 presentation at The Glass House this Thursday for editors. Invite Only; 5454 West 25th street; (6-9p)
- 3/18 - Learn about the history of sunglasses from the roots of Italy and the trends that are to come at the Vanderbilt Hall; Grand Central Terminal, NYC; rsvp required.
- Through 3/21 - Come and witness a bevy of Giorgio Armani's red carpet looks worn by celebrites such as: Lady Gaga, Anne Hathaway, Penelope Cruz and more, at the Fifth Avenus flagship store. Wait, Lady Gaga has worn Armani? ; 717 Fifth Ave, (212-207-1902); M–Sa (10–8), Su (12p–6).